Lilo modified by yum

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Jun 9 01:09:20 UTC 2004

Steve Howlett wrote:
> I have been running a gateway with RH9 which has been self-updating with
> yum. Now I have come to updating the system to FC2 and I cannot find
> lilo????.conf that corresponds to the startup lilo menu.
>
> I do have a lot of files in /etc that are of the format
> lilo.conf.yum-nnnnnnnnn where nnnnnn are a bunch of numbers. None of
> these correspond with the startup menu either.
>
> Is there something that tells the system what lilo conf file to look at
> when starting up? This is really bugging me....

Fedora does not use lilo.  In fact, FC2 doesn't even ship with lilo.
FC2 uses grub (and that's also FC1's preference).  The config file is
/boot/grub/grub.conf and it uses a different layout than lilo.conf.  You
need to familiarize yourself with grub and its config files, "man grub",
and "man grub.conf".

This is explained in the release notes included on the first CD of both
FC1 and FC2.
-     There are only 10 kinds of people in the world -- those who    -
-                 understand binary and those who don't              -