DHCP suddenly not working

David Mackintosh David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com
Thu Jun 10 17:08:19 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 09:21:52AM -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:

> This was 7.2?  I can't recall...does that use pump or dhclient?  If it's
> dhclient, have you tried running it manually to see what actually goes
> on?  You might try the same thing if it uses pump (do a "man pump" to
> find what debug options there are).

Back in the day, I had a RedHat firewall on @Home's cable network.  I believe
the vintage was 7.x, but I can't remember for sure.

For what it's worth, here are my notes from that time:

----
@Home is getting anal about dhcp.

RedHat's default pump thing doesn't work, use dhcpcd instead.
In /sbin/ifup, change the /sbin/pump command to

         /sbin/dhcpcd -dR -I cr42217-a eth1

...where cr42217-a is this week's name assigned to you by @Home
(you may have to use Windows to figure out what that is).

Note that occasionally something seems to get f***ed up and you have
to drop firewall protections in order to get a lease.  This is annoying.
----

...I believe that the -R switch told it not to mess with one of your
/etc/resolv.conf and/or your default router (most likely the former).

--
 /\oo/\
/ /()\ \ David Mackintosh | Public Key: