CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE stops machine?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Jun 10 18:17:15 UTC 2004

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez wrote:
>  --- Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> escribió:
>
>>Ken Scott wrote:
>>

>>>Why does CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE stop my RH9 machine
>>
>>(kills power just as if
>>
>>>one pulled the plug) instead of just restarting
>>
>>stopping X-windows?
>

> Look at this line of /etc/inittab:
>
> # Trap CTRL-ALT-DELETE
> ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now
>
> You can avoid with a comment:
>
> #ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now

Read carefully.  He's saying CTRL-ALT-_BACKSPACE_ is killing his
machine. It should restart X.  CTRL-ALT-_DELETE_ is the shutdown.

His problem is most likely a remap of the keyboard, swapping BS and DEL.

>>It shouldn't, unless you have BACKSPACE and DELETE
>>remapped in your
>>keymap (possible).

-         If this is the first day of the rest of my life...         -
-                        I'm in BIG trouble!                         -