Can't start ethereal

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Jun 17 21:43:48 UTC 2004

Matthew Galgoci wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Ken Scott wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>I have ethereal installed but I can't run it (see below).
>>/usr/sbin/tethereal  does work and gives streaming text output.  I
>>thought the ethereal package was GUI-based.  WHat am I missing?  Thanks
>>Ken
>>(BTW, RH9 system)
>>
>>[kens at KENS02L kens]$ su
>>Password:
>>[root at KENS02L kens]# rpm -qa ethereal
>>ethereal-0.10.3-0.90.1
>>[root at KENS02L kens]# man ethereal
>>No manual entry for ethereal
>>[root at KENS02L kens]# ethereal
>>bash: ethereal: command not found
>>[root at KENS02L kens]#
>

> There is a sepperate front end package called ethereal-gnome that you probably want.

ethereal must be run as root and it lives in /usr/sbin (which is NOT in
a normal user's path).  You can either:

	$ su
	Password:
	# /usr/sbin/ethereal

or

	$ su -		<<--- note the "-" at the end there
	Password:
	# ethereal

Note that it said "command not found" (i.e. it's not in your default
path).

-          When all else fails, try reading the instructions.        -