Redhat 6.1 Password Change

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 22 21:48:03 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:33:43PM +0000, Aaron Rykhus wrote:
> >From: Bob McClure Jr <robertmcclure at earthlink.net>
> >To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux <redhat-install-list at redhat.com>
> >Subject: Re: Redhat 6.1 Password Change
> >Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:29:24 -0500

> >> When I run passwd it says "Enter UNIX password"

> >Well, yes, that's the prompt.  When you enter the password twice, does
> >it cough up any errors or warnings?
> >
> >Cheers,
> >--
> >Bob McClure, Jr.
>

> Just "login invalid"

That does not compute.  I wanted to know what carps come from running
 "passwd" to change the user's password.

If that is a newly created user (even if hand-entered into
/etc/passwd), root (not any mere mortal user) must run "passwd
<userid>" to set userid's password.  You will be prompted to enter the
new password, and then enter it again.  Then you can log out as root
and try logging in as the new user.  Or you can "su - <userid>".

So, if the new user is "foobar", you (as root) will run

  passwd foobar

and provide the new password twice.  To test it:

  su - foobar

It will ask you for password, and if all is well, you will get a shell
prompt of some kind.  To return to root's shell, just enter "exit" or
Ctrl-D.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Prayer should be our first resource, not our last resort.