Red Hat Enterprise 3 + Dell Inspiron 7500

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jun 25 16:36:21 UTC 2004

Pascual Castellon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to install the new downloaded Redhat Enterprise Linux
> 3 (WS, or ES both have the same problem)
> on a Laptop Dell inspiron 7500.
>
> The main problem is that some seconds after starting the installation.
> the computer shows me the following message:
>
> Code 66 8b 42 28 21 c8 66 89 42 28 52 e8 f1 55 f8 ff 58 eb ab 89
>
> Kernel Panic: Fatal Exception.
>
> Does anybody knows what this message means, and why I can install WS or
> ES 2.1 without problems in the same
> computer?

Try adding the "noacpi" and/or "noapm" options to the "boot:" command
line:

	boot: linux noacpi noapm

and see if that helps.  There are others.  You might also try to run a
good memory test on your system.  An excellent free one is available at
http://www.memtest86.com.
-               500: Internal Fortune Cookie Error                   -