USR external faxmodem on RH9 ???

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Mar 1 18:56:02 UTC 2004

Bassam ALHUSSEIN wrote:
> Hello again ...I did ( as you told me Rick ) an "lsusb" and at the entry
> for my modem I think I had different ids of the product and the vendor :

Yes, it's different, all right.  I'll mark them:

> Device Descriptor:
> bLength                18
> bDescriptorType         1
> bcdUSB               1.00
> bDeviceClass          255 Vendor Specific Class
> bDeviceSubClass       255 Vendor Specific Subclass
> bDeviceProtocol       255 Vendor Specific Protocol
> bMaxPacketSize0        64
> idVendor           0x0baf
> idProduct          0x00ec

There they are.  Hmmm.  I expected "0x0572" for "idVendor" and "0x1232",
"0x1233" or "0x1234" for the "idProduct".  Hmmmm.

I still suspect that it's a Conexant chipset, since USR and they have a
very tight relationship.  The best source for info on WinModems and
Linux is http://www.linmodems.org/.  Take a look at that site and see if
there's anything that can help you out.

> bcdDevice            0.01
> iManufacturer           1 U.S. Robotics
> iProduct                2 U.S. Robotics 56K Faxmodem USB
> iSerial                 3 USBHCF00000006
> bNumConfigurations      1
> Configuration Descriptor:
> bLength                 9
> bDescriptorType         2
> wTotalLength           74
> bNumInterfaces          1
> bConfigurationValue     1
> iConfiguration          4
> bmAttributes         0xa0
> Remote Wakeup    MaxPower              150mA
> Interface Descriptor:
> bLength                 9
> bDescriptorType         4
> bInterfaceNumber        0
> bAlternateSetting       0
> bNumEndpoints           8
> bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
> bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
> bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
> iInterface              5 DDP/SSD Scratchpad interface
> Endpoint Descriptor:
> bLength                 7
> bDescriptorType         5
> bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
> bmAttributes            2
> Transfer Type            Bulk
> Synch Type               none
> wMaxPacketSize         64
> bInterval               0
>
> So, what do you think ?
>
> ( If you want the total output of lsusb just let me know ...)
>
> Just Waiting for answers ;-)

-     If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...     -
-              ...oh, wait.  He does.  THAT explains it!             -