Bootup: cannot execute /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Mar 3 21:09:19 UTC 2004

VB wrote:
> --- Chris Hewitt <g0pae at manordat.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>VB wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>I just modified my /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit since I've
>>>been having problems with the 2.6.3 kernel.  Now on
>>>bootup I can't execute the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
>>
>>file
>>
>>>(that's what the kernel tells me on
>>
>>bootup)...assuming
>>
>>>the file has some syntax error or something, as the
>>>file is executable.
>>>
>>>I have a backup of a working copy and the "broken"
>>>copy both on a floppy and on the linux partition,
>>
>>how
>>
>>>can I boot an alternate /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit? how
>>
>>can
>>
>>>I verify the correctness of a modified
>>>/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit? I'm using grub, RH9 and FC1.
>>>

>>If you boot from the first installation CD and put
>>"linux rescue" in at
>>the boot prompt you will end up with your linux root
>>system mounted
>>under /mnt/sysimage. From there you can swap over
>>your working and
>>non-working /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit (which would now be
>>
>>/mnt/sysimaage/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit).
>>
>>Hope this helps
>>
>>Chris
>>

> Is there a way I can verify my modified rc.sysinit
> file? i.e. check if there are syntactic errors?

Not really.  There's no syntax checker in the manner of "perl -c" for
Bourne (sh) or Bourne Again (bash) scripts.  You have to know the
syntax.

> If there were syntactic errors, would that cause the
> kernel to tell me it can't execute /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit?

It depends on what the actual error message is.  Is it "no such file"?
Is it "rc.sysinit:somenumber error message"?  That'd be a big help.
-  Jimmie crack corn and I don't care...what kind of lousy attitude  -
-                 is THAT to have, huh?   -- Dennis Miller           -