"x" won't start after red hat linux 9 installation

Jay D play_that_funk at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 6 22:42:08 UTC 2004

Thanks for the advice and link Bob.  I tried running that command and the
same thing happened.  When I hit cntrl-Alt-backspace (thank you Aj.) it
brought me back to a prompt and showed a message saying:
The Application xconf.py lost its connection to the display :17.0; most
likely the x server was shut down or you killed/destroyed the application.

When I tried the advice at the link you provided I got the same results,
except this time the message said:
The Application 'gnome-session' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the x server was shut down or you killed/destroyed the
application.
xinit:connection to X server lost.
waiting for X server to shut down

There was a bunch of stuff above the message like this:
[144] 400 x 300 72Hz
[115] 800 x 600, 60Hz, 75 Hz, 85 Hz
SESSION_MANAGER=local/localhost.loocaldomain:/tmp/.ICE-unix/3648
AUDIT: (time/date)
3645: vlirny 4 rejected from local host

I have no idea what to do about this.  I suppose maybe I'll try to contact
red hat or something.

jay