Disabling certain PCI devices

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Thu Mar 11 01:15:26 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 16:45, Rick Stevens wrote:
> I believe it's a bitmask that's ANDed with the vendor and device fields,
> so yes, it's a wildcard, in this case, controlled by the "class" bit.

Rick,
   I tried this on my Gentoo box where I'm having the problem. It didn't
seem to work. Then for kicks I tried both rmmod'ing ohci1394 and
rebooting. Neither worked either.

   Then I looked at the file again and found the edits were gone!

   This might be a Gentoo thing, but are these files static or built at
boot time. All the ones on my machine had the new boot time, so I think
the data is coming from somewhere else. (At least in Gentoo's case...I
don't have a Redhat machine with multiple 1394 controllers in it right
now.

<SNIP>
>      # lspci -vn
>      (snip)
>      00:0e.0 Class 0c00: 1033:00e7 (rev 01) (prog-if 10)
>         	Subsystem: 10cf:11a0
>      (snip)
>
> So I'd change the line to read:
>
>      ohci1394    0x00001033 0x000000e7 0x000010cf 0x000011a0 0x000c0010 \
> 		0x00ffffff 0x00000000

Actually, pcitweak -l seemed to give me a lot of good data also without
quite so much searching around.

> I think that'd do it.  Your mileage may vary.  By the way, a similar
> mechanism is used for USB devices, but you'd use the data from "lsusb"
> for the vendor and device IDs and the file format is a bit different.
>
> Hey, kernel hacking has its benefits!  You get to find all these
> obscure little things.

Good stuff to know about. This is likely to be very helpful once I
really get it working.

thanks,
Mark