need some help abt playing mp3 file on linux

Chris Hewitt g0pae at manordat.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 11 14:19:52 UTC 2004

Dany Gates wrote:

> hi, i have installed red hat linux 9 on my pc and i am unable to play
> any mp3 or video files on any of the players. I have tried playing mp3
> on many players but none is able to play them. First time i tried to
> play  mp3 it gave me a message that mp3 and video files support has
> been removed from linux red hat 9!!!
> Is it true????  Can i not play mp3 or video files on linux any more???
> Isn't there any solution to this problem?? i have even tried XMMS
> player but no positive result!!!
> reply soon........

mp3 support has been removed for legal reasons, as it is not a free
format and a royalty must be paid. Thus it may not be shipped with the
free linux distributions. The format Ogg Vobis is free. If you still
want mp3 then you can add it back into xmms by installing the xmms-mp3
rpm from:
http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/redhat/9/xmms-mp3/
but be aware that you should be paying a royalty.

By the way, a google search of "redhat xmms mp3" brought the above url
as the first item.

HTH
Chris