Firstboot

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Mar 11 22:02:21 UTC 2004

Erik Volkman wrote:
> Could somebody point me toward some documentation on what firstboot does?
> We'd like to automate the install of some RH9 boxes, however we've been
> running into difficulties using our setup scripts and having firstboot run.

It's a set of python scripts that set up a number of things the first
time a system is booted.  Briefly it allows you to:

	Select the language
	Set the keyboard type
	Set the mouse type
	Set the root password
	Add additional users
	Set up the firewall
	Register with the up2date service
	Load additional RPMs from the CDs

It only runs in run level 5 (GUI mode) and only if there's no
/etc/sysconfig/firstboot file that contains the line:

	RUN_FIRSTBOOT=NO

If you can get your setup scripts to do the stuff necessary to do all
that, then the last thing it should do is:

	echo "RUN_FIRSTBOOT=NO" >/etc/sysconfig/firstboot

and firstboot won't run.  Make sure the firewall is configured and that
the root password is set at a minimum should you decide to bypass
firstboot.
-      We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.     -