What have I done?

Jason Pinkney j-pinkney at onu.edu
Sat Mar 13 19:08:43 UTC 2004

>>> Thanks Mark but that is not the answer. I had tried that and checked again. None of the options under Panel/Hiding are checked but still "no show".
>>> The area to which I am referring is in the middle of the panel, (if "panel" is the correct name for the display across the *whole* of the bottom of the screen) but does it perhaps go by another name? The rest of the panel is visible all the time, by the way .
>>

>> Yes, that's the "panel".  Check on the far right of the panel and see if
>> there's a thin vertical bar with something that looks like a hatch
>> pattern in it.  If so, drag it to the left and see if your application
>> list window shows up again.  If it does, stretch it to the size you want
>> and let go of the left mouse button.  You should then be able to right
>> click on that section to pop up a menu.  Select "Move" and it'll track
>> the mouse movement on the panel.  Move it to where you want on the
>> panel, then left click to release it.  Save your session when you're
>> done.
>

>  Thank you, Rick.
>
> With all due respect I think you misunderstand my problem. The panel is visible all the time. It shows various icons on the left, another couple of icons on the right and my digital clock, and two vertical bars at the extreme RH edge, one with a left facing small solid triangle, the other with a right facing one.
>
> Between the two groups of icons (roughly in the middle of the panel) is a representation of four windows in a small 2x2 rectangle and then my application list window.
>
> The problem is that the application list window has stopped showing me which applications are active. If I click in the window they all appear. But I would like to have them as they were, visible all the time.
>
> Cheers
> Ken

Dear Ken,

I *think* I know what you're talking about - the
tasklist applet.  I can't reproduce the behavior
you describe, but maybe you can just remove what
you have and restart the Tasklist applet.
To remove: right-click on the stippled edge of the
	tasklist, and then click on "remove from panel"
To re-add: click on the Main menu (Gnome footprint),
	go to Applets - Utility,
	click on Tasklist.
To adjust properties: right-click on the stippled edge
	of the tasklist, left-click "Properties".

There are 2^10 possible combinations of the first 10
properties, so its no wonder I couldn't reproduce your
problem.

Jason