file types and programs

Fred Grant fdgrant at powercom.net
Sun Mar 14 19:53:44 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 20:05, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 06:50:47PM -0600, Fred Grant wrote:
> > I recently installed Adobe Acrobat5 but I can't get it to become the
> > default pdf viewer.  The file types and programs seems to work only for
> > programs that were installed when I first loaded rh9.  I would like to
> > get Adobe running because it seems to be the only pdf viewer that can
> > click on links embedded in the pdf file.
> >
> > I use the gnome desktop.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> What browser?  I don't know if they all use the same file (they jolly
> well should), but try editing your ~/.mailcap file.  I know Netscape
> and Mozilla use it.
>
> Look for a line that looks like
>
> application/pdf;/usr/bin/xpdf %s
>
> Change /usr/bin/xpdf to /path/to/acrobat.  If such a line is not
> there, add one.
>
> You will need to restart your browser.  In fact, maybe it should be
> off when you edit the file.
>
> Cheers,

Thanks Bob, you pointed me in the right direction.I did this with
Mozilla preferences to avoid having to "get under the hood" of the
system.

I'd still like to set Acrobat to be the default for reading pdf files I
have saved.  I find the Gnome help pages confusing.  The form we are
suppose to use to change these file types and programs asks for a
protocol without explaining what that is.  The form won't accept a path
name either.  Can you help on this?

Thanks