O2Micro OZ6912 card bus

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Mar 15 22:11:23 UTC 2004

jim wrote:

> [...]

It's not the PC that's the problem, it's the chipset for the card
that's the issue.  You can get a different PCMCIA card cheaply and go
with that.

You'll run into this in several areas.  There are a lot of chip makers
that won't release chip specs to the open source community to allow an
open source driver to be written.  They seem to think that Microsoft is
the be-all and end-all.  While they can make some legal justifications
(e.g. making a wireless chipset to send data on a bogus frequency), but
I think that most of them are specious arguments.  Just because the
driver is closed source (e.g. Microsoft or Mac) doesn't mean a talented
programmer can't do just as much damage on those OSes.
-   The light at the end of the tunnel is really an oncoming train.  -