Java Virtual Machine

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Mar 19 21:38:51 UTC 2004

Chris A Czerwinski wrote:
> Hi (it's me again),
>
> I have downloaded a program and now I'm trying to install it
> when I get the following error message...

> Preparing to install...
> Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
> Configuring the installer for this system's environment...
> No Java virtual machine could be found from your PATH
> environment variable.  You must install a VM prior to
> running this program.
>
> Yet I have installed Java j2sdk1.4.2
>
> [root at redhat90 chris]# rpm -qa j*
> joystick-1.2.15-15
> jwhois-3.2.1-1
> jadetex-3.12-9
> jfsutils-1.0.17-6
> j2sdk-1.4.2_03-fcs   <---
>

> and I have it installed on /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_03
>
> Does this mean I have to also install another version?
>
> Where and how do I check the PATH?

Paths are set up in several places.  The global paths (those that are
set up by default) are in /etc/profile.  In there, you'll see a line
like:
	pathmunge /usr/X11R6/bin after

Add a line just after it:

	pathmung /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_03 after

and everyone will have it tacked onto their paths as the last item.
-    "Hello. My PID is Inigo Montoya.  You `kill -9'-ed my parent    -
-                     process.  Prepare to vi."                      -