Installing TypingMaster into Games

Chris A Czerwinski chrisczerwinski at cogeco.ca
Mon Mar 22 04:32:05 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 15:40, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> [...]
> > > partition.  (That's another discussion.)

> > > No, you don't want anything for general consumption put in /root.

> > > Well, philosophically, though it might be crafted to be "game-like", I
> > > don't think I would put it in /usr/local/games.  That's a rather
> > > obscure location.  And since it is external to the RedHat
> > > installation, I'd put it in /usr/local/bin.  That is normally in
> > > everybody's PATH, so nothing special needs to be done with that.
> > >
> > > I don't understand what the "Link Folder (Home) or ..." is about.  If
> > > you want a shortcut to that, I'd put it in the toolbar at the bottom,
> > > or you could add a menu item for it.  I don't think I'd let the
> > > installation program do any of that, because it probably doesn't know
> > > how, and might well do something undesireable.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> >
> > Red Hat's file hierarchy is little different from what I have found
> > on the following link to File System Hierarchy Standard at
> >       http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#USRLOCALSHARE1
> >
> >  <snip...>
> > Directory/Folder-> /usr/share : Architecture-independent data
> >
> > Purpose: The /usr/share hierarchy is for all read-only architecture
> > independent data files.
> >
> > This hierarchy is intended to be shareable among all architecture
> > platforms of a given OS; thus, for example, a site with i386, Alpha, and
> > PPC platforms might maintain a single /usr/share directory that is
> > centrally-mounted. Note, however, that /usr/share is generally not
> > intended to be shared by different OSes or by different releases of the
> > same OS.
> >
> > Any program or package which contains or requires data that doesn't need
> > to be modified should store that data in /usr/share (or
> > /usr/local/share, if installed locally). It is recommended that a
> > subdirectory be used in /usr/share for this purpose.
> >
> > Game data stored in /usr/share/games must be purely static data. Any
> > modifiable files, such as score files, game play logs, and so forth,
> > should be placed in /var/games.
> >  <...end of snip>
> >
> > What I gather is then  Game Applications can be installed in:
> >                      FHS's  /usr/share/<game-name>
> >  & equivalent to Red Hat's  /usr/share/<game-name>
>
> No.  Read again the first line of your quote.  It is for fixed _data_,
> not executables.  Hats off to you, by the way, for looking up the FHS.
> So /usr/share/<game-name> would be appropriate for putting things like
> TypingMaster's word lists and the like.
>
> > and Game Data/Scores are to be stored in /var "... variable data files":
> >                      FHS's  /var/games/<game-name>
> >  & equivalent to Red Hat's  /usr/games/<game-name>
> >                         or  /usr/local/share/<game-name>
> >   or Create in Red Hat a    /var/games/<game-name> (to conform with FHS)
>
> I'm unclear what you are saying there.  Yes, scores and the like would
> go into /var/games/, but the appropriate place for the executable
> would be in /usr/games/ or /usr/local/bin/.

Thanks Bob,

I may not be able to control what the installation will do and hopefully
it will
  Install in    ..(my input).. /usr/share/<game-name>
and Create the directory or folder for the
  LINK Folder   ..(my input).. /var/games/<game-name>

I'm still waiting for an Email or instructions from TypingMaster as
their FAQ is not helpful, otherwise that's what I'll do.

again thanks.