Time to agree on time...

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Mon Mar 22 14:43:13 UTC 2004

Hi,
    Usually I hear people complaining about how Windows messes up their
clock times, but this time I get to bring up Fedora. (Or more likely my
lack of knowledge, but let's stay quiet about that...) ;-)

    I shoehorned a copy of Fedora Core 1 onto a system this morning that
was already running Gentoo. Gentoo runs with ntpd and the time has
always been spot on. When I installed FC1 this morning I didn't know the
ntp server name so I just set the time zone to LA and the time to 10AM.
No problem. Fedora came up with the right time.

    However, when I went back to Gentoo the time was wrong and now shows
4 hours later than the real time.

    I have not booted back into Fedora yet as I don't have my email on
that said, but I'd like to get this set up correctly so that time works
in both environments.

    Currently in Gentoo /etc/rc.conf has a CLOCK="UTC" setting. I don't
know where the equivalent setting would be on Fedora, but looking around
it's not in rc.conf as that doesn't exist.

    Also, is UTC the defacto right way to do this, or is there a better,
more standard way. I've never seen a good page on making this choice.

Thanks,
Mark