Laptop related issues

Guy Rouillier guy-rouillier at speakeasy.net
Tue Mar 23 00:20:09 UTC 2004

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:40:02 -0800
Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:

> >  2)Are there any issues w/ RH9 and/or FC-1 and XFree86 on WUXGA displays?
> >    Is this really a function of XFree86 and/or graphics drivers?
>
> Depends on the graphics card on the laptop.  I generally try to stay
> with ATI video cards, not nVidia.  ATI has a better reputation as to
> putting their API into open source.  There's an open source nVidia
> driver, but it often doesn't work real well with their newer chipsets.
> My current Fujitsu C220 laptop has an ATI chipset running at 1400x1050.
> Works fine, lasts a long time under FC1, kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl.

Rick, I got an eMachines M6805 with an AMD64 chip and ATI Radeon 9600 Mobility chip in it.  The only way I could get native 1280x800 was by installing 4.4.0 from XFree86.org, as 4.3 does not support the 9600 Mobility  Do you have any experience with that version?  While I have the native resolution (and a simultaneous CRT with independent resolution and refresh rate), I have issues with it (e.g., Gnome will only put the panel on the top of the laptop LCD; I can force it on the bottom by turning off Xinerama, but that corrupts %gconf.xml, and turning Xinerama back on yields no panel at all.)  This is using the binary from XFree86.org, which is for glib 2.2, while I have glib 2.3.  Do you think recompiling would help?

--
Guy Rouillier