NTFS resizer

Me awfar at glis.net
Tue Mar 30 13:27:43 UTC 2004

Here is some more info.

http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/

see the ntfsprogs and ntfresize util.

awf

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:24:49 -0800
From: Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com>
Subject: Re: System Commander 7 not working - any pure Linux
	alternatives?
To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
	<redhat-install-list at redhat.com>

Mark Knecht wrote:

 >> Hi,
 >>    I got a new laptop for the studio this weekend. It came with an 80GB
 >> drive set as one NTFS partition. My old standby SC7 installs just fine
 >> and does it's normal start-up stuff to get into Win XP, but it just
 >> hangs when you try and enter the partitioning part of the program.
 >> Normally I'd size the NTFS partition down and then go through a Linux
 >> install, but I guess not this time.

That's odd.  I was able to resize my laptop using SC7.01.

 >>    I've always liked keeping SC7 on the system since it does allow me to
 >> resize all partition types after the OS's are installed, but if it isn't
 >> going to work then I'm left looking for a new solution, so why no Linux?

Read on.

 >>    I could blow everything away on the machine, install Linux, and then
 >> install Windows, but these machines come with funny 'restore' versions
 >> of Windows XP so I'm not sure it won't blow partitions away when I try
 >> to install it.
 >>
 >>    I know of none, but does anyone think there is a reasonable Linux
 >> based solution to resizing NTFS partitions without having to reinstall
 >> Windows?

No.  There is no linux utility that will resize an NTFS partition.  NTFS
is supported via a kernel module just like NFS or any other filesystem,
but the "write" versions of the module can hose NTFS to a point that not
even Winblows can recover it.

SC7.01 resized my NTFS just fine.  Partition Commander 8 should also do
a bang-up job.  You may need to simply reinstall SC7.01 to get it to
work or boot off the floppies or CD rather than the hard disk to get it
to work (NTFS can do some weird things).
-   You possess a mind not merely twisted, but actually sprained.    -