NFS - how to tell the mount options

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Mar 31 18:38:16 UTC 2004

Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> I forgot where it was...
>
> Where is the file that tells me what a NFS mount used as far as options
> goes?  nfsv2 vs v3, cache settings, etc.?

"man nfs" will give you the available options.  As far as where you
specify them at mount time, that's in /etc/fstab.

> If I don't manually set how I want it to mount, I don't know how to tell
> how it did mount.

"mount" alone should show you which non-default options were actually
used.  Those not displayed use the defaults shown in "man nfs":

	[root at smtp-01-001 bin]# mount -l -t nfs
	netapp2:/VIRTMAIL on /virtmail type nfs
		(rw,tcp,hard,noac,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,
		nfsvers=3,addr=10.24.1.4)

The stuff not displayed use the defaults.  The corresponding line in
/etc/fstab (wrapped for easier reading) is:

	netapp2:/VIRTMAIL     /virtmail      nfs   \
		rw,tcp,hard,noac,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,nfsvers=3

Ok?
-     Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.     -