perlmagick

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed May 19 19:06:51 UTC 2004

James Jones wrote:
> Apparently, perlmagick is NOT part of RH ES v.3. ImageMagick and
> ImageMagick-c++ are. In fact they are version 5.5.6 (not v6.x). I've
> tried everything to just manually compile this but I keep getting a
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [blib/arch/auto/Image/Magick/Magick.so] Error 1
>
> Anybody know if this package is comming back? (ImageMagick-perl)
>
> This is so frustrating as I rely on this package and this upgrade from
> RH 9  to RH ES v3 has become a major downgrade with it's subset of
> packages as compared to  RH 7,8 & 9. I can deal with the other stuff
> missing but not this one. I'm desperate and I either need to get an RPM
> or just get this to compile.

I just dealt with ImageMagick on a 7.3 server for a client, but that
one had old libpng, libgd and other issues.  Took me a while.

The error you mention indicates that you don't have the XFree86
development system installed.  You must make sure you have the
"XFree86-devel" RPM installed.  Grab your CDs, find the one that has
that RPM on it, put the CD in and:

	rpm -ivh /mnt/cdrom/XFree86-devel*.rpm

By the way, the latest ImageMagick is 5.5.7 (according to their
website).
-     There are only 10 kinds of people in the world -- those who    -
-                 understand binary and those who don't              -