write

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon May 3 21:13:48 UTC 2004

tyche wrote:
> having a bit of a problem with my write setup. as a trial, i sent a mess from
> one username to another, but didnt think to try to answer.
>
> had a ssh login from the internet, and we couldnt pass messages from user to
> user. was wondering what i have screwed up and where to start looking for the
> problem

You mean "write" as in the user-to-user messaging thing?  Wow!  Haven't
used that in a while.

You may have to use the full "write username terminalname" command if
you have one user logged in multiple times, but it works just fine over
ssh.  Note that the terminal name for the user coming in over the
network OR via an xterm will be "pts/NN" with "NN" being some number,
e.g.

	# write rick pts/30

Works for me, locally AND over an ssh connection.

Remember, the person answering must also run "write" to do the
"mesg n".
-            I'm afraid my karma just ran over your dogma            -