Trouble configuring Red Hat 7.2

Pedro Morales pmor82 at yahoo.com
Fri May 7 02:17:13 UTC 2004

--- Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:
> Pedro Morales wrote:
> > --- jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >>On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 12:01, Pedro Morales wrote:
> >>snip

> >>boot

> >>snip
> >>This is a correct burn. Now the question is this
> >>yarrow* (Fedora Core 1
> >>--FC1) or Fedora core 2.
> >>FC2 has errors that won't allow it to boot on some
> >>systems. It is also a
> >>beta test core for the gurus and grungy beasties
> >>play with.
> >>
> >>--
> >>jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>
> >

> > ok well I downloaded teh cd1 iso again, burned it,
> ran
> > it in my pc and it booted from the cd, but it
> didnt in
> > teh classroom, the bio has cdrom as first boot and
> HD
> > as second, it read teh cdrom and went to the HD
> and
> > loaded 7.2, now im wondering, is there a way to
> run
> > the FC1 installation from the 7.2 text mode?
>
> I'm not certain I understand that.  I understand
> that English isn't
> your primary language, so try to answer these one at
> a time:

well, I've been in the US for over 3 years, and in
college, so I do try my best to write it and get
understood...

> 1. Did you burn the Fedora Core 1 .iso image on a
> new CD?

yes

> 2. Did that CD boot on your home system?

yes

> 3. If #2 is "yes", did that CD boot on your school
> system?

no

> 4. If #3 is "no", did you check the BIOS settings on
> the school system
> to make sure it would try to boot the CD before the
> hard disk?

yes

> 5. If #4 is "yes", then it is possible that the CD
> drive in the school
> system is one of the older style ones that have
> problems reading newer
> CD-R media.
> Older drives have a slightly different colored laser
> that can't read the
> darker blue or green CD-Rs.  if you can find some of
> the old CD-R media
> that's gold in color, you may have better luck.
> Either that or you
> should replace the CD drive in the school's system.

well I have installed other programs with the same
type of cd-r media, and it did boot on my home pc
(built it myself).

> (for the techies, the older lasers were 670nM, the
> newer ones are 650nM)
>
> > I really like Linux and im planning to change my
> > religion from microsoft to linux, im enjoying the
> text
> > mode but need to learn and explore the gui version
> as
> > well, any extra help is appreciated.
>
> If you can be a bit more specific about the machines
> you're trying to
> run this on, we may be able to help you more.  If
> it's a purchased
> system, the make and model would help ("Dell
> Dimension P600" for
> example).

As stated in an earlier email IBM ThinkCentre
8189-A4U, ahs a P4 hyperthread, 512ram, intel MB,
video integrated (Intel 650G)

> If it's home made, we need to know the CPU type
> (Pentium, Pentium Pro,
> etc.), the motherboard make and model (Asus K7E,
> Gigabit G8854, Intel,
> ABit, etc.), how much RAM you have, your video card
> make and model and
> your ethernet card make and model.

> It's hard to be specific when you don't know what
> you're dealing with.

> - Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer
> rstevens at vitalstream.com -
> - VitalStream, Inc.
> http://www.vitalstream.com -
> -
>                 -
> -  Diplomacy: The art of saying "Nice doggy!" until
> you can find a   -
> -                            big enough rock.
>                 -

Since the text commands are the same on all linux
(redhat at least), if I can't get FC1 to work, do you
guys have a mirror for RH9?