Trouble configuring Red Hat 7.2

Pedro Morales pmor82 at yahoo.com
Mon May 10 12:27:58 UTC 2004

--- Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:
> Pedro Morales wrote:
> > --- Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:

> the

> some

> it,
> >>
> >>ran

> >>didnt in

> and
> >>
> >>HD

> >>and

> >>run

> >>I'm not certain I understand that.  I understand
> >>that English isn't
> >>your primary language, so try to answer these one
> at
> >>a time:
> >

> > well, I've been in the US for over 3 years, and in
> > college, so I do try my best to write it and get
> > understood...
>
> Sorry.  Your messages tend to run together a bit.  I
> have trouble
> reading them.  But I'm old (46) and it's probably my
> fault.  :-(  I
> appologize.
>
> >>1. Did you burn the Fedora Core 1 .iso image on a
> >>new CD?
> >

> > yes
> >

> >>2. Did that CD boot on your home system?
> >

> > yes
>
> Ah, good...so we know it's good media--as far as
> booting is concerned.
>
> >>3. If #2 is "yes", did that CD boot on your school
> >>system?
> >

> > no
>
> Ugh!  Ok. let's press on.
>
> >>4. If #3 is "no", did you check the BIOS settings
> on
> >>the school system
> >>to make sure it would try to boot the CD before
> the
> >>hard disk?
> >

> > yes
>
> Ok, did you see it actually try the CD (did the
> light flash) or did
> it simply skip over it and go to the hard drive?
>
> [snip]
>
> >>  if you can find some of
> >>the old CD-R media
> >>that's gold in color, you may have better luck.
> >>Either that or you
> >>should replace the CD drive in the school's
> system.
> >

> > well I have installed other programs with the same
> > type of cd-r media, and it did boot on my home pc
> > (built it myself).
>
> On the school system?  Really?  From the same make
> of blank media?
> That's VERY weird.
>
> Well, I suppose you could force an install by using
> a boot floppy if it
> won't boot the CD.  If you can, mount the first CD
> under Linux and put
> a blank floppy in the floppy drive.  As the root
> user:
>
> 	# cd /mnt/cdrom/images
> 	# dd if=bootdisk.img of=dev/fd0 bs=1k
> 	# cd /root
> 	# umount /mnt/cdrom
>
> That will build your bootable floppy.  You can then
> boot the system off
> the floppy and install from the CD.

> [...]

nm the last two emails, found the problem, missing a /
, but now I loaded the boot disk and got to the
installation screen, it asked me which device had the
core files, I specified cdrom, then it tells me that
it can't find the core files, I tried all 3 cdroms and
non of them has them. All 3 cds were copied with the
iso of all 3 cds, so I must be missing something.