Trouble configuring Red Hat Linux 7.2

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon May 10 21:29:19 UTC 2004

Pedro Morales wrote:
>>>	# cd /mnt/cdrom/images
>>>	# dd if=bootdisk.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1k
>>>	# cd /root
>>>	# umount /mnt/cdrom
>

> Thanks so far guys, specially Rick, so guess final try
> before I jsut stay with 7.2 and just stick to text
> mode...
>
> I got the boot disk to work, when the FC1 installation
> starts it asks me for the Core files, I told it to
> check on the cdrom, it couldn't find it, so I quitted
> the installation and made a Fedora directory in my
> /root, copied all the files from all 3 cd's in there,
> tried to install again and selected that pathname for
> the directory with the core files(/root/Fedora), still
> couldn't find it, but then I noticed that it was
> asking for the "image", so I'm wondering, have I been
> doing everything wrong? should I have burned the image
> itself into the cd and not open the image and burn
> it's contents?

You do not burn the contents OR the image.  An ISO image is an image of
the CD.  It can be mounted just like the CD itself could.  Your software
should have an option like "Create a CD from an ISO image", but since
you haven't told us what software you're trying to use, we can't help
more than telling you that.  Again, do not burn the .iso image as if
it were a file and do not burn the contents of the .iso image, but
find the option in your software to create the CD FROM an ISO image
and use that.

As far as the boot floppy is concerned, it is intended to be used with
a system which either cannot boot CDs or doesn't have a CD drive.
In the latter case, you can install from a network drive or another
partition.  When you do that, the .iso files MUST be where you tell
the installer to look and MUST be named appropriately, e.g.
"yarrow-i386-disc1.iso" or whatever.  Each installer is different, so
a network or foreign filesystem install using the RH9 installer will
NOT work for a Fedora install--you must use the installer appropriate
for your distribution.
-     There are only 10 kinds of people in the world -- those who    -
-                 understand binary and those who don't              -