Trouble configuring Red Hat Linux 7.2

Pedro Morales pmor82 at yahoo.com
Mon May 10 23:11:39 UTC 2004

--- Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:

> > Thanks so far guys, specially Rick, so guess final
> try
> > before I jsut stay with 7.2 and just stick to text
> > mode...
> >
> > I got the boot disk to work, when the FC1
> installation
> > starts it asks me for the Core files, I told it to
> > check on the cdrom, it couldn't find it, so I
> quitted
> > the installation and made a Fedora directory in my
> > /root, copied all the files from all 3 cd's in
> there,
> > tried to install again and selected that pathname
> for
> > the directory with the core files(/root/Fedora),
> still
> > couldn't find it, but then I noticed that it was
> > asking for the "image", so I'm wondering, have I
> been
> > doing everything wrong? should I have burned the
> image
> > itself into the cd and not open the image and burn
> > it's contents?
>
> You do not burn the contents OR the image.  An ISO
> image is an image of
> the CD.  It can be mounted just like the CD itself
> could.  Your software
> should have an option like "Create a CD from an ISO
> image", but since
> you haven't told us what software you're trying to
> use, we can't help
> more than telling you that.  Again, do not burn the
> .iso image as if
> it were a file and do not burn the contents of the
> .iso image, but
> find the option in your software to create the CD
> FROM an ISO image
> and use that.

I use Nero Express and Sonic RecordNow! (came with
Sony dvd burner). I was actually using WinImage to
open the .iso file and copy the contents to my HD then
burn it. I'll look for the option to make a cd from
teh image.

> As far as the boot floppy is concerned, it is
> intended to be used with
> a system which either cannot boot CDs or doesn't
> have a CD drive.
> In the latter case, you can install from a network
> drive or another
> partition.  When you do that, the .iso files MUST be
> where you tell
> the installer to look and MUST be named
> appropriately, e.g.
> "yarrow-i386-disc1.iso" or whatever.  Each installer
> is different, so
> a network or foreign filesystem install using the
> RH9 installer will
> NOT work for a Fedora install--you must use the
> installer appropriate
> for your distribution.

Well in our case, even if I added the images to our
server it wouldn't work since RH7.2 can't recognize
our NICs.

All right, I'll try again tomrrow and trouble you guys
again on the result =)