lets talk about talk ... ?

Steve Larsen slarsen at opengearbox.com
Wed May 12 02:25:39 UTC 2004

Rick,
I apologize for the dual post .. for some bizarre reason I didn't receive
the reply
so a double thanks is in order. I am set to use bash and don't run a gui
desktop.

My .bash_profile looks as such;

# .bash_profile
# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
         . ~/.bashrc
fi
# User specific environment and startup programs
PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
export PATH
unset USERNAME
alias l="ls -aFxl"
alias lo="logout"
alias lc="ls"
alias h=history
alias rm="rm -f"
cat .greeting
I do have ncurses installed.
[root at somesystem root]# rpm -qa | grep ncurses
ncurses-5.2-26
[root at somesystem root]#
Is the problem hiding in my bash profile parameters? Also I use CommNet 32
v 1.05
as VT100 for access.

Steve Larsen

At 03:12 PM 5/11/2004 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
>Steve Larsen wrote:
>>Hello Install List,
>>I have talkd installed and it seems to run .. but not in a split screen mode.
>>When I type " talk user " and the user replies, we seem to be typing over
>>each others words and no "split screen" shows up. This is not the behavior
>>I remember from using this years ago. Some information on the system is
>>included below.
>>     rpm -qa talk*     talk-0.17-12     talk-server-0.17-12     =========
>>     netstat -l     Active Internet connections (only servers)     Proto
>> Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address
>>     State
>>     udp        0      0 *:talk
>>     *:*
>>     udp        0      0 *:ntalk
>>     *:*
>>     =========     Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla)     Kernel
>> 2.4.18-3 on an i686     =========     service
>> talk     {             disable                 =
>> no             socket_type             =
>> dgram             wait                    =
>> yes             user                    =
>> nobody             group                   =
>> tty             server                  = /usr/sbin/in.talkd     }
>>My initial thoughts are that this version of talk is too old? Does anyone
>>have
>>any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.
>
>I answered this last week, I think.
>
>It depends on several things: do you have ncurses installed and what
>your "$TERM" environment variable looks like.
>
>ncurses allows the funky screen drawing stuff and your TERM says what
>terminal type you have.  If it isn't set to a terminal type that
>supports direct cursor addressing and the like, it can't do split
>screen.
>
>Under a GUI (e.g. Gnome or KDE) with "echo $TERM" returning "xterm",
>it works fine.
>- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
>- VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
>-              Where there's a will, I want to be in it.             -

Steve Larsen
slarsen at opengearbox.com