Redhat ES Patches

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon May 17 16:00:17 UTC 2004

Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold wrote:
> Rick Stevens said:
>
>>Yes, you must use up2date.  However, you can set up an "ignore" list
>>of RPMs you _don't_ want automatically installed.  Use "up2date
>>--config" to set that up.
>

> And up2date does a great job with this...
>

>>up2date does a reasonable job of sorting out what's "newer" than what
>>you have--but only for things installed via rpm.  If you do a tarball
>>install, up2date (because it queries the rpm database) will have no idea
>>that you installed, say, PostgreSQL 7.4.2 (the latest) via tarball,
>>while the latest RPM is 7.3.6.  So, when they finally come out with a
>>7.3.7 rpm, it'll get installed and might stomp on your 7.4.2 version.
>>That's one of the problems with multiple distribution formats.
>

> You could always, of course, roll your own rpm's...  It can be a challenge
> at times, but it definitely pays off when you have to update multiple
> machines...

Rolling your own RPMs is not difficult, but it's not trivial.  If you
intend to do it, take a look at the RPM site (http://www.rpm.org) and
maybe think about getting one of the published RPM books such as
"Maximum RPM".

> Supposedly there is a way to get up2date to look at your own personal rpm
> repository and you can distribute your rpm's to your other machines in
> this manner.  This is something I've got on my todo list...  :)

Edit /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources and add a line like:

	dir my-homebrewed-rpms /usr/local/devel/RPMS/

to add a "directory"-style repository.
-      Do you know how to save five drowning lawyers?  No?  GOOD!    -