Why the GUI can't start automatically on RH9 after I set some rules in iptables?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon May 17 16:17:10 UTC 2004

Yan Peng wrote:
> redhat-install-list:
>

> 	After I set some rules in the iptables, moreover, I set all the connections from localhost and its own IP address are accepted, then , the GUI must be started manually. If I change the runlevel to 5, it is OK.
> 	But I remember the runlevel is 3 by default before I set the rules in iptables. And the GUI can start automatically.
> 	What Should I do if I don't change the default runlevel?
> 	Thank you very much.

No, the iptables are started in whatever run levels you specified.  By
default, they run in levels 2, 3, and 5.  If you want your system
to boot directly to run level 5 for X, you must edit the /etc/inittab
file and change the line:

	id:3:initdefault:

to read:

	id:5:initdefault:

Then reboot.
-  Silence!  Or I shall replace you with a very small shell script!  -
-                                                - The Wizard of OS  -