Display can not change from "800X600" to "1024X 768" on RedHat 9.0

Suhaimi Jamalludin suhaimi at niser.org.my
Wed May 19 03:23:51 UTC 2004

Hi Rick Stevens,

I have increase the video memory to 64MB. and used millions colors (24-bit).
Still no changes. Any other advice....really appreciate it.

Regards,
suhaimi

You need to either a) increase the amount of RAM available to your video
card or b) reduce the depth.

Reduce the depth:
You have 2 settings for 1024x768, one with 24 bits, one with 16 bits.
If you delete the first "Display" section (the one with "Depth 24") and
leave the one with "Depth 16", it should work but your colors will be
"thousands of colors".  Make sure you make a copy of the file BEFORE
you edit it, just in case things don't work the way you want.

If you want millions of colors (24-bit), you need to increase the video
RAM and use the "Display" section with "Depth 24".  If your video
chipset uses RAM from the system (as many do), then you need to change
the video memory size in your BIOS.  I can't tell you exactly how to do
that since it varies with the different BIOSes out there.  If the card
uses its own memory, then you need to add more to the card or live with
the 16-bit environment.

-  What's small, yellow and very, VERY dangerous?  The root canary!  -

Regards,

Suhaimi Jamalludin