XFS in Fedora Core 2

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed May 19 21:50:48 UTC 2004

Andre Meyer wrote:
> Hi Rick
>
> I did log in as root and tried "startx" which gave a ton of error
> messages. Some installation must be missing, because the installation
> hung at the installation of the bootloader.

If the system booted then the boot loader got installed.  It'd help if
you could tell us what errors you got.  You could try posting the
/var/log/XFree86.0.log file.

> I realised the confusion between the XFS file system and the font
> server, as well

Good!  You're one of the few that grasp it.

> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> Andre Meyer wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> After a great new download of Fedora Core 2 yesterday, I immediately
>>> tried to install it. My first thought was that I needed to try uot
>>> XFS because I read a lot about how cool and fast XFS was compared to
>>> ext3. After finding out that one needs to boot the installer using
>>> "linux xfs" (undocumented) I chose to format with XFS and install.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, at the end of the installation it hung while trying to
>>> install the bootloader GRUB. After a reset, FC2 boots, but only in
>>> text mode. X won't start, because - I assume - the installation was
>>> not finished.
>>>
>>> Why does XFS not work? What can be done about it?
>>

>> It did work.  The system booted, did it not?  If you log in and do a
>> "mount" command, the filesystems show up as mounted under XFS, right?
>>
>> Why didn't X-Windows start?  That's a good question.  You might try to
>> start it manually by entering "startx" or by "telinit 5".  You may still
>> have to configure it via "redhat-config-xfree86".
>>
>> Also note that "xfs" can be confusing (and I wish the twits who
>> developed the XFS file system took that into account).  There's "xfs"
>> the filesystem AND "xfs" the "X font server" (which predates the
>> filesystem by a number of years).  Make sure you specify which one
>> you're speaking of.  Note that if "xfs" (the font one) isn't running,
>> X-Windows won't run, either.
>> - Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
>> - VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
>> -  Animal testing is futile.  They always get nervous and give the   -
>> -                             wrong answers                          -

-   UNIX is actually quite user friendly.  The problem is that it's  -
-              just very picky of who its friends are!               -