Sendmail installed? - Setting new users and checking emails?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon May 24 17:40:46 UTC 2004

Dan_MailLists wrote:
> Thanks Jeff, sendmail is indeed installed and running.
>
> How can I set up an account and then check that account's email via the
> command line though? Perhaps I'm not logged in as root, and don't have
> access to do that.
>
> I'm using a managed server here, so perhaps they've locked me out of such
> things.

PLEASE bottom-post on this list.  It makes following the thread SO much
easier.

First, to find where your "rpm" is, try "which rpm".  It should be in
/bin.

Second, sendmail can be installed in several different places.  The
normal place is /usr/sbin.  It could be in /usr/lib or /usr/bin.  If you
find it in /usr/lib, it could be either the real binary or a symlink to
the real binary.  "ls -l /usr/lib/sendmail" should show you the
destination of the link.

Third, to check a user's account, you can do an SMTP dialog to the box:

# telnet mailserver.domain.tld 25	<--- YOU ENTER THIS
Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...
Connected to mailserver.domain.tld (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mailserver.domain.tld ESMTP sendmail MTA; Mon, 24 May 2004 10:38:19
	-0700
helo myhost.mydomain.tld		<--- YOU ENTER THIS
250 mailserver.domain.tld Hello myhost.mydomain.tld [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx],
	pleased to meet you
mail from: someone at somedomain.com	<--- YOU ENTER THIS
250 2.1.0 someone at somedomain.com... Sender ok
rcpt to: recipient at recipdomain.tld	<--- YOU ENTER THIS
250 2.1.5 recipient at recipdomain.tld... Recipient ok
quit					<--- YOU ENTER THIS
221 2.0.0 mxin-01-001.root-mail.com closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

If the "rcpt to:" thing gets a "Recipient ok" response (shown above the
"^^^^^^^^" line), then the account is there.

-  What's small, yellow and very, VERY dangerous?  The root canary!  -