FW: Kickstart partition woes

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue May 25 16:55:29 UTC 2004

Gordon McDowall wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, to answer your questions, yes it's software raid and
> yes /home was on md3, I cannot see why I should not be able to do this new
> install since if you try a manual install then you can see all the
> partitions and raid devices and the only thing that needs done is to relabel
> the raid devices to reflect the partitions and tell it whether to format the
> raid device or keep the data intact.

Erp!  I think I found it.  Your lines specifying the RAID layout are
missing some stuff.  In your "raid" lines, I think you must have
"--fstype=ext3" rather than "--fstype ext3".  This may be an issue as
the other partitions are going to be formatted (and ext3 is the default)
while /home is NOT going to be formatted.  I'm surprised it worked at
all with spaces instead of "=" in those lines.  I'd expect some errors
regarding "can't find device ext2" or "can't find device ext3" in the
other lines as well.

-    "Hello. My PID is Inigo Montoya.  You `kill -9'-ed my parent    -
-                     process.  Prepare to vi."                      -