LILO and Zone Alarm

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed May 26 17:51:01 UTC 2004

mylar wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 20:56, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>>mylar wrote:

>>>And you _really_ should think about updating your Linux.  6.1 is

>>>Believe it or not I still have an old 166 mhz machine still running
>>>Redhat 6.0!!! It's still used to provide backup on demand dialup service
>>>and dns service to a few machines on a home network. I've patched the
>>>heck out of it and firewalled it as best I can via ipchains. Dial on
>>>demand service is still provided by the "diald" daemon. It's an oldie
>>>but serves it's purpose.
>>
>>And I have an Alpha machine with 5.2.  It's more historic than anything
>>else.  I love having to boot "milo" from a floppy to get it to run.
>>
>>That and my MicroVAX II and MicroVAX 3100/10e running VAX/VMS.  Oh,
>>yeah!  Ancient technology!  Gotta love it!  (now, where did I put those
>>old 9-track tapes of mine...?)
>

> Yeah, I started with an early version of Redhat (2.0 I think) running
> one of the early monolithic  1.X kernels on that 166 Pentium. I
> gradually upgraded to redhat 3.0 then 5.2 then 6.0  where it's stayed
> since.
>
> Way back when I was pretty adepts in running the Vax systems we had in
> college and I was interested in acquiring a MicroVAX running Vax/VMS for
> my at home computing interests. Unfortunately as a  college student I
> couldn't afford such fancy high end computing equipment.
>
> I'd still like to acquire a PDP-11

I've got an old MicroPDP-11 (well, LSI-11) at home that runs (gulp!)
RSTS/E, RSX-11M/Plus, and RT-11/XM.  And somewhere in the deep, deep
recesses of my horde is a (get ready!) PDP-8!  Yes, a 12-bit computer!
Weird! I dunno if it works now or not.  It did when I mothballed it
20-odd years ago.  I had WPS-8 on it (a three-user word processor).

Ah, memories! ;-)
-          Consciousness: that annoying time between naps.           -