Can't mount usb cdrom/cd R/W drive in redhat 9.0

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri May 28 16:55:58 UTC 2004

peterotto_linux wrote:
> During my installation I used my usb cdrom drive to install redhat 9.0.
>
> Now that it is up I am unable to mount the usb cdrom, so in turn I am
> unable to read any cds.
>
> Here is some info I hope that might help solve my problem.
> [root at localhost etc]# cat fstab
> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults
> 1 1
> LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults
> 1 2
> none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620
> 0 0
> none                    /proc                   proc    defaults
> 0 0
> none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults
> 0 0
> /dev/hda3               swap                    swap    defaults
> 0 0
> /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
> noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

USB CDs will appear as SCSI devices, so that device name is /dev/scd0
and not /dev/cdrom.  CD/R/RW will generally show up as /dev/sdx
(because they're writable).  /dev/cdromx is reserved for IDE/ATAPI drives.

> And here is another
> [root at localhost etc]# dmesg | grep usb
> usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
> usb.c: registered new driver hub
> usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
> usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 10:15:52 Feb 27 2003
> usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
> usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd400, IRQ 11
> usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
> usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
> usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd800, IRQ 3
> usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
> usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 3
> usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xdc00, IRQ 5
> usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
> usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 4
> usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
> usb.c: registered new driver hiddev
> usb.c: registered new driver hid
> usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x46e/0x3002) is not claimed by any
> active driver.
> usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage

What I said above is true for any USB storage device under RH9.  They
will always be presented to the operating system as SCSI devices.  If
the media is writable, it will show up as /dev/sdx (this includes
CD/R/RW, Flash drives, ZIP disks, etc.).  If it's a CDROM (read only)
it'll be /dev/scdx.
-                    I doubt, therefore I might be.                  -