Configuring RH8 to use an ADSL Modem/Router

administrator tootai admin at tootai.net
Sun May 30 10:38:12 UTC 2004

Graeme Nichols a écrit :

> Hello Rick and Folks,

Hi Graeme

> Further to the help you have already given me regarding ADSL
> Modem/Routers I now have my ADSL line activated but I have been
> spectacularly unsuccessful in getting it to to work on my RH8 box. I
> have been reduced to using Win98SE for my email at the moment, but not
> Oulook Express :-)
>
> The ADSL Modem/Router works just fine under Win98SE. I followed the
> configuration sequence from the Modem/Router instructions which are as
> follows:
>
> 1. Select the Ethernet card from the network devices.

So ethernet card to connect to ADSL modem/router

> 2. Select dynamically assigned ip address.

For modem/router in LAN?

> 3. Disable DNS
> 4. Fire up a browser and configure the ADSL modem as follows:
> a. Router, PPPoA (my ISP informed me this works more reliably than
> PPPoE on Billion ADSL Modem/Routers), LLC, VPI/VCI <values 8/35),
> <username>, <password>, obtain an IP address automatically, connect on
> demand, NAT=SUA (single user). The next screen displays the results of
> your choices on the WAN side and the default router ip addr.
> (192.168.1.254), netmask (255.255.255.0) etc.

So your router has 192.168.1.254 as LAN IP. Your ethernet card on which
he is connected to your box must have an 192.168.1.0/24 IP address.

> And away it all went. No problems.
>
> So I followed the same procedure on my RH8 box and immediately ran
> into problems. By setting eth0 to a dynamically assigned ip address I
> can't activate it.

Anf who give an IP address to your eth0? You have an DHCP server on your
LAN? If not, you must have something like

DEVICE="eth0"
BOOTPROTO="none"
IPADDR="192.168.1.1" ;if not already used
NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
NETWORK="192.168.1.0"
ONBOOT="yes"

in your ifcfg-eth0 and

NETWORKING=yes
GATEWAYDEV=eth0
FORWARD_IPV4=yes

in network file.

> Delete that device and create an xDSL device (ppp0) using the eth0
> card, dynamic ip address etc. I can activate it (takes about 40 secs.)
> and 10 secs later it becomes inactive. I haven't changed any of the
> ADSL configuration in the Modem/Router as all that should be correct
> as they are the defined settings from my ISP.

If I well understand your setup (see below) you don't need to setup an
ppp connection

> The contents of the network files and log are as follows:
>
>  Contents of the /etc/sysconfig/network file:-
>
> [root at localhost graeme]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network
> NETWORKING=yes
> HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain
> DOMAINNAME=localdomain
> GATEWAYDEV=ppp0

If your modem is connected to eth0 should be eth0 (see my comments above
about ppp0)

> Contents of the /etc/sysctl.conf file:-
>
> [root at localhost graeme]# cat /etc/sysctl.conf
> # Kernel sysctl configuration file for Red Hat Linux
> #
> # For binary values, 0 is disabled, 1 is enabled.  See sysctl(8) and
> # sysctl.conf(5) for more details.
>
> # Controls IP packet forwarding
> net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0

should be =1

> # Controls source route verification
> net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 1
>
> # Controls the System Request debugging functionality of the kernel
> kernel.sysrq = 0
>
> # Controls whether core dumps will append the PID to the core filename.
> # Useful for debugging multi-threaded applications.
> kernel.core_uses_pid = 1

[...]

> Now all the above must mean something but to me, network novice, it
> doesn't jump out at me.

In your logs hotplug id for USB. So is your modem USB or eth?

> In my simple mind all I thought would be necessary would be to
> configure eth0 to dynamic ip address, allow users to start and stop it
> and all would work.
>
> So, how do I set up this ADSL Modem/Router to work under RH8??
>
> I desperately need help...

If you setup your modem under win98, the only thing you have to do with
your RH box is to bring up eth0 to be able to discuss with your modem.
With ip_forward set to 1 you will be able to go to internet. All others
settings are done by the modem so no need to do it from your box.

What i say is only true if I well understand your organization like:

RH80 box -- Ethernet card eth0 -- Ethernet connector from ADSL
modem/Router -- WAN connector from ADSl modem/Router -- your ISP

If your modem is USB, you should have drivers who will create an pseudo
eth connected to ppp. At least it was the case with an USB SAGEM
Fast at 800 that I was using. And this was only a modem, not router.

Hope this help.

--
Daniel