Samba setup on RH8.0

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Nov 19 00:21:54 UTC 2004

Jared L. Black wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 10:00, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>>Jared L. Black wrote:

>>>Never mind.  I got Samba to work (kinda) after a lot of trial and
>>>error.  Since its T&E, I don't know why it works.
>>>
>>>No response to my request - looks like I'm not a member of the club.
>>
>>No, we weren't ignoring you, Jared.  I've been a bit busy and haven't
>>been watching the list too closely.
>>
>>I seem to recall your smb.conf was a bit sketchy.  If I recall, you
>>intended to use share security.  Did you create the appropriate users
>>in Linux to match what's going on in Windows and did you create the
>>smbpasswd file?
>>
>>The easiest way to administer samba is to use swat.  Run "service swat
>>start", then point your web browser to "http://localhost:901".  Once
>>you log in as the root user with the root user's password, you'll be
>>given a GUI that you can manage the whole thing.  The on-line help is
>>good and can explain a lot of stuff.  When you're done, disable swat
>>by running "service swat stop" (you don't want outsiders to get at your
>>swat config) or you can set up iptables to block outside incoming
>>access to port 901 and leave swat running.  It's up to you (I tend to
>>stop swat when not using it).
>>
>>I also recommend you get a copy of the O'Reilly book "Using Samba" by
>>Eckstein, Collier-Brown and Kelly.  I consider it essential for Samba
>>users--especially when you start using domain security or a Windows
>>PDC for authentication.
>

> Rick:
> Thanks for the reply.  I'll take your advice and get the Using Samba
> book.  In the meantime, I couldn't find a directory where the "service
> swat start" command would work (command not found). Any suggestions?

Uh, oops!  My bad.  Sorry about that.  It's an xinetd-spawned program.
Do this as root:

	# vi /etc/xinetd.d/swat

Find the line that says "disable = yes" and change it to "disable = no".
Save the file, then enter:

	# killall -HUP xinetd

Then you can point your browser to "http://localhost:901" and have at
it.  To disable swat, change the line back to "disable = yes" and do
the "killall" again.

Again, sorry about that.

"Make sure brain is engaged before putting keyboard in gear."  DOH!
-  BASIC is the Computer Science version of `Scientific Creationism' -