sound card detection problem

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Mon Nov 22 00:16:54 UTC 2004

Greetings Mark ,

Mark Knecht wrote:

> Vijaykumar,
>    Hi. No one named 'sir' here. We're all just friends.
>
>    The first step is to know what's in your system. Please post the output of
>
> lspci
>
> and we'll look at the sound card or chip in your system. I.e.:
>
> <SNIP>
> 0000:00:14.5 Multimedia audio controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP150
> AC'97 Audio Controller
> <SNIP>
>
> You can also just try the program alsaconf (as root) and see if it
> discovers the sound chip.

In my Valhalla days ( when i was using Redhat 7.3 ) i remember there was a
programm called sndconfig . Back then i had a Mad 16 pro soundcard .
I recall that in order to be able to use it  under linux i had to boot
to windows pick up
the settings ( I/O port , DMA Channel , ..one more thing that i can't
recall ) supply
them to sndconfig under linux and there it was .
Do you think that something similar could work for Vijaykumar ?

Kind Regards,
     Kostas