Disk problems - continuing saga

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 1 02:23:46 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 11:35:57AM +1100, Gordon Low wrote:

> Sorry about line wrap on previous post, was done via web am using
> Evolution this time.
>
> Still having problems.
> I managed to get old disk back on and changed settings in /etc/fstab
> from LABEL to /dev/hda. Copied files to new disk using cp and looked ok.

I'm curious what cp command line you used.  I prefer using find and
cpio, but cp may work depending on what options you use.

My method requires you to create a directory called, say, /newpart,
and then to copy a partition, you (say, for /home)

  mount /dev/hdbx /newpart # where hdbx is the partition for /home
  cd /home
  find . -mount -depth | cpio -pdm /newpart
  umount /dev/hdbx

and repeat for each partition.  That preserves timestamps and
ownership, and copies everything including symlinks and devices.

> Created new proc directory and next step was to put disk in final
> position and boot to cd and try installing Grub via "linux rescue".
>
> Problems started here...
> First configuration was new disk only and the "linux rescue"could not
> find an image on the new disk. Couldn't find Grub to install on the
> disk. Tried just booting but prints  "Verifying DMI..." then "GRUB " and
> halts there.
>
> Put the new disk in as master and the old disk in as slave and tried
> again. This time with "linux rescue" it reports that both images were
> available but when I try to mount either of them I get an error saying
> they may be only partially mounted. Can't chroot into them and can't use
> Grub.

Because one is a copy of the other, the /etc/fstab on the slave
(/dev/hdb) has references to /dev/hda, so it won't compute.

> When I put the old disk in as master and the new as the slave I can find
> images on both disks using the rescue disk and can mount either of them.
> Did not want to use Grub here as I think I have already tried this, new
> disk is /dev/hdb. Think I have already had problems with this but cannot
> remember so would be grateful for any help.
>
> Thought about trying couple of things.
> 1. Use rescue with old=master and new=slave and install with grub. Is it
> best to chroot to the old or new disk?

Has to be the new disk, but I don't think that will work because the
drive is in the wrong place to make sense.

> 2. Did not use fsck on new disk will check now.

After any debacles, that's a good idea.

> 3. Any difference if I use a boot disk?

I don't know.  I doubt it.

> Thanks for any help, I dream one day of having this installed.
>

> Gordon Low

I know you're in unfamiliar territory, and I've done it many a time,
so it's easy for me to say it's easy.  I'm suspicious of your cp operation.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Grace happens.