Traffic shaping strategies ?

Dirk Westfal livelinux at nwst.de
Tue Nov 2 07:52:39 UTC 2004

Hi there,

I have a question about traffic shaping (though i admit it`s not a plain
fedora question):

On of my fedora boxes runs as a vpn aggregator on a 2Mbit SDSL link to which
~20 remote locations (on adsl with ~400kb down/2000mbit upstream ) connect.

I would like to provide a 'band' for each of the remote locations and inside
that 'location band' some 'sub bands' to throttle ftp/email in favor of
telnet/ssh, web and webdav.

>From the docu i read until this point (lart) the htb filter seems to provide
the kind of fair shaping i need.

Now the question is how to do it ?

Has anyone here on the list done something like tht before ?

Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,
Dirk Westfal