install ES3 dual-boot onto Fedora2 doesn't get grub.conf right

David Morgan dmorgan1 at dslextreme.com
Fri Nov 5 21:36:55 UTC 2004

I teach a linux class. We install, dual-boot, Fedora Core 2 and
Enterprise ES 3. We installed in that order. (Fedora has / on hda2 with
/boot separate on hda1; ES has / on hda4.)

We ask the anaconda installer, while installing ES, to make the machine
dual-boot. It creates its own grub.conf and overwrites the MBR,
displacing the grub.conf and MBR code from the earlier Fedora
installation. Problem is, for booting the Fedora image, it writes the
grub.conf stanza as if it regards Fedora to be a non-linux OS-- by using
the "chainloader" etc appropriate for windows. We have to manually fix
it by importing the stanza that worked from the old copy of grub.conf in
Fedora's partition into the new grub.conf in ES's partition (with
kernel= etc).

Any similar experiences? Anybody got an explanation? Happened to the
whole class (20 machines).