New FC2 not allowing ssh connections

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 13 20:22:28 UTC 2004

On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 11:18:01AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>    I built a new FC2 machine from scratch recently. It's been working
> fine for outgoing connections. Today I wanted to connect to it but
> haven't been able to. When I attempt to connect to it from my laptop
> or another FC2 desktop I get:
>
> flash mark $ ssh -X -Y -C -c blowfish -l mark 192.168.10.101
> ssh: connect to host 192.168.10.101 port 22: No route to host
> flash mark $

That's your answer.  Check routing by running (on flash)

  netstat -rn

If that looks ok, then 192.168.10.101 is either off (if it's on, run
ifconfig to assure that the ethernet port is up on that IP) or there
is a bad cable between it and flash.

>    I've started sshd and looked at /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd_config. It
> says it allows X11Forwarding. It has port 22 commented out, but I
> assume that's OK.

Yes, that's the default.  And that's on 192.168.10.101, right?

> Anyway, I tried uncommenting it and restarting sshd
> but no improvement.

Expected.

>    What am I forgetting about Fedora to get this enabled? I'll keep
> Googling as traffic on this list is always a bit slower on the
> weekends.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Cheers,