Installing nVidia for AMD64/EM64T cards

Michael Velez mikev777 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 18 12:41:12 UTC 2004

Hello all,

I just installed RHEL 3 WS on a Dell Precision 370n Workstation with EM64T
architecture.

I am now trying to install an nvidia NVS800 graphics card using the Linux
drivers nvidia offers on their download page.

I have updated my XF86Config file with driver nvidia and have verified the
appropriate modules are being loaded.

However, X hangs when I try to start by initing to Level 5.

Does anybody know what's going on?  This is my first Linux distro after
being on the business side of things.  The last time I administered a UNIX
box was over 10 years ago.

I would appreciate any help you could offer.

I started looking at the Xconfig file and log.  The Xconfig file is loading
'fbdevhw'.  Is that the same as rivafb, which I'm told should not be loaded
when the nvidia driver is used.

The Xconfig log said there was a failure reading EDID parameters for display
device CRT-0.  Is that a problem?

Regards,

Michael