rc3.d scripts not executing on boot

gerrynix gerrynix at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 22 16:02:54 UTC 2004

--- jdyke <jdyke at azimapower.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> This was seen after a power outage hardboot on RedHat9  Some
> scripts were not
> executed in the rc3.d directory.  Namely httpd and mysql.server.
> The linking is:
> S96httpd -> ../init.d/httpd
> S98mysql -> ../init.d/mysql.server
>
> The permissions of both are the same as their counterparts that are
> getting
> called. I can use the scripts themselves to to start|stop|restart
> etc without
> fail or warning, but it looks like they are not being touched when
> the machine
> boots up. For a test i copied these scripts to a RedHat 8 box and
> rebooted the
> machine and they get executed on boot.  Another test...i ran
> `shutdown -r now',
> to see if for some reason they would get executed on a clean
> restart, but did not.
>
> a tail of boot.log shows
> Nov 22 09:26:50 **** xinetd: xinetd startup succeeded
> Nov 22 09:26:51 **** sendmail: sendmail startup succeeded
> Nov 22 09:26:51 **** sendmail: sm-client startup succeeded
> Nov 22 09:26:51 **** gpm: gpm startup succeeded
> Nov 22 09:26:52 **** crond: crond startup succeeded
> Nov 22 09:26:53 **** cups: cupsd startup succeeded
> Nov 22 09:26:53 **** xfs: xfs startup succeeded
> Nov 22 09:26:53 **** anacron: anacron startup succeeded
> Nov 22 09:26:53 **** atd: atd startup succeeded
>
> I noticed that most of these were linked in just about every rc*.d
> directory.
> Is that what i should do for httpd and mysqld?  This is a quasi
> production box
> so i'd like to limit my number of reboot tests :)
>
> Is there any other logs that would be useful to look?

Jeff,

Since you have confirmed that the scripts in question are
linked properly, in the correct directory for run level 3,
executable and working... this is my best guess: the system
is not getting to run level 3. The other services you list
above also start in other run levels. Have you checked the
output of "who -r" or the "runlevel" command? Perhaps check
the initdefault level in /etc/inittab.
--
Nix