Camera Help

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Nov 22 18:11:47 UTC 2004

brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> My daughter has a Canon digital Rebel which I borrowed.  I'm
> tring to now get the photos off of her camera and onto my hard
> drive.
>
> Gphoto should work but the version that came on with my software
> (Red Hat 9) is too old to inculde this camera.  I downloaded an
> RPM for it (gphoto2-2.1.4-7) and did an rpm -U gphoto....

Make sure you did the "rpm -Uvh gphoto*" as the the root user.

> It seemed to work but only the old version came up.  I tried
> erasing the old version  and reinstalled and got the message that
> it was already installed.  I tried to use force, replacefiles and
> replacepkgs none of which worked.
>
> Now I am looking for a solution - either to find out how to
> install gphoto (and maybe where to get it if I need a new copy)
> OR some other package that will do the same.

There's another option you could do.  99% of all digital cameras
just use a FAT filesystem on their memory.  If you have the camera
attached to the computer, try doing an "fdisk -l /dev/sda" and see
if you get a listing of partitions.  If you do, try:

	mount /dev/sdax /mnt/cdrom

(where the "x" is the partition number).  You should then be able to
walk down the camera's file system which now appears at /mnt/cdrom:

	ls /mnt/cdrom

For example, with my Canon camera connected, "fdisk /dev/sda" shows a
single partiton, 1.  If I:

	mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/cdrom

Then I see the entire filesystem at:

	/mnt/cdrom/dcim/olymp200/img00001.jpg

etc.

> Thanks,

-     Never put off 'til tommorrow what you can forget altogether!   -