sound card detection problem

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Mon Nov 22 23:17:36 UTC 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:
> I think that sndconfig is an OSS program possibly?

I don't know exactly what do you mean by OSS , but sndconfig was the
utility that
Redhat 7.3 had which allowed you to configure your soundcard by directly
providing
the settings whenever the soundcard you had wasn't autodetected . It had
already
settings for various chipsets which facilitated things sometimes.

  I've not heard of  it for Alsa. Presuming that he wants to use Alsa,
then alsaconf is the
> right place to start.

I have never used alsa , but if i understand you well then it is pretty
possible that
alsaconf is the equivalent of soundconfig am talking about.

However I have not heard of his sound chip
> before.

I reread his email , he said that his motherboard was an intel 865GBF ,  in
which case am not certain that  " Intel 865GBF " is the sound chip.
Well as you suggested the output of lspci would be far more enlightening .
So i guess we will have to wait untill we see it .

I do not know if it's supported by Alsa so he'll just have to
> experiment a bit. Possibly it just uses the normal Intel driver. Not
> sure.
>
> If he's interested in audio on Redhat/FC then he should check out the
> PlanetCCRMA site. It's far and away the easiest way to get sound
> working well on these distros.
>
> http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

BTW , thanks for the above link .

King Regards,