Dual booting Windows 2K with RH Enterprise Workstation v3

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 18:49:08 UTC 2004

Rod,
   Hi. I'm likely to not be that much help. I use System Commander to
kick off my boot process so dual booting is a bit different for me.
That said, maybe some of this will help:

1) A Linux installation is really sort of 2 pieces - Linux itself
(possibly spread over multiple partitions and disk drives) and a boot
loader. I presume that you used grub. (Maybe LILO though? Is that
what's meant by boot.ini? I haven't used LILO in a long time, and it
won't matter for what I might say here...I think...)

2) It's clear that you believe you installed Linux on the second hard
drive, but it's not so clear where the boot loader whet. where do you
think it is?

3) Windows is the same in terms of the OS and a boot loader. However
Windows boot loader must reside on the first hard drive seen by BIOS.
As understand things it cannot work itit was to be in the seond drive.

4) No matter what you have on your system, the only boot loaders
youhave a chance of using are ones that can be seen by BIOS, so this
changes a bit from system to system, but usually it's jsut the first
hard drive.

   I'm sort of guessing here that when you installed Linux that
possibly grub or LILO partially installed on the frist drive and
what's happening is windows boot loader is messed up and needs to be
reinstalled. I believe this can be done from your Windows rescue disk.
(You have one, right?)

   I may be wrong about all of this and how it applies to your system.
Take it with a grain of salt.

Good luck,
Mark