Dual booting Windows 2K with RH Enterprise Workstation v3

Silverrod silverrod at comcast.net
Sun Oct 3 20:08:21 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Otto Haliburton
Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2004 11:42 AM
To: 'Getting started with Red Hat Linux'
Subject: RE: Dual booting Windows 2K with RH Enterprise Workstation v3

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Silverrod
Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2004 1:26 PM
To: redhat-install-list at redhat.com

Please ignore my last post without a subject line.  It won't work in the
archives.

             I am trying to setup my computer to dual boot Windows 2000 (W
2K) with Red Hat Enterprise Workstation v3 (RHEW). I attempted to load RHEW
on my SATA hard drive but it didn't work because the hard drive controller
card's manufacture doesn't have a software driver for RHEW yet. I tried to
use a driver for a different version of Red Hat that they offered but it
didn't work either.

I am now trying a different approach. I have installed a second, IDE hard
drive, that I am sure RHEW will recognize. I partitioned the new hard drive
per the instructions in the RHEW installation guide with Norton Partition
Magic. I have loaded RHEW on that second hard drive with Disk Druid and it
seemed to go well.  I then modified the boot.ini file with the line
"L:\Linux.bin="linux"".  "L:" is the primary partition on the new hard drive
that I chose as the boot partition for RHEW.

I then rebooted the computer during which during which a screen offered me
the choice of booting W2K or Linux. I selected Linux and received the
following error message.

Windows 2000 could not start because of a computer disk hardware
configuration problem.

Could not read from the selected boot disk.  Check boot path and disk
hardware.

Please check the Windows 2000 documentation about hardware and disk
configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional
information.

            I can't get into RHEW but W2K works well after a reboot and a
different selection at the OS option screen.

            What have I done wrong?  What other methods might work?

Thank in advance for your help!

Rod

I have never done RHEW, but I have used RH9 etc.  with dual boot, I always
used GRUB or LILO.  GRUB is now the preferred boot loader, my suggestion is
that you boot the rescue disk into RHEW and do a grub-install and install
GRUB in the MBR.

          The idea of a boot disk, rescue disk or install disk is new to me.
I did make an installation disk (also called a boot disk by RHEW
installation guide) after the installation by copying files from the RHEW
disk one per instruction in the guide.  I don't know if I can get to GRUB
that way but I will try it shortly.  If I can, how do I get GRUB to modify
the MBR?  Remember that Linux can not find my SATA hard drive with W2K on
it.

Thank you for your help

Rod