Another YP question

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Oct 6 20:43:59 UTC 2004

Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> "At this point, make sure that /etc/passwd and /etc/group have
> been edited so that when the NIS is activated, the data bases you
> have just created will be used, instead of the /etc ASCII files."
>
> What do I need to do to guarantee this.  I've read something about a
> "+::" entry, but not sure how to implement it.  How do I test it to
> verify it is working?

Well, the last line of /etc/passwd should be:

	+:*:0:0:::

("plus-colon-splat-colon-zero-colon-zero-colon-colon-colon").  A similar
line should be at the end of /etc/shadow and /etc/group.

You must also make sure your /etc/nsswitch.conf file includes NIS:

passwd:     files nis nisplus
shadow:     files nis nisplus
group:      files nis nisplus

("nisplus" can also be written "nis+")

> More importantly, did I just make sense? LOL

Only to someone who speaks NIS.  ;-)  I'd recommend you get the dreaded
O'Reilly "sloth" book ("Managing NFS and NIS") if you're going to do a
lot with NIS/NIS+.  It's a handy reference.

-          "Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes."           -